Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
This CBC operation dealt with the implementation of an electrical speed tramway connection between the Flemish city of Hasselt and the Dutch city of Maastricht.
1. Absence of adequate public transport links between Hasselt and Maastricht, both major cities in the Euroregio Maas-Rhine region, as well as university cities, shopping centres, etc. This hinders economic and social development for the residents and companies of this region.
2. Different ideas on how to organize and finance public transport.
3. Differences in legislation.
4. Low return on public transport in border regions.
5. Different tariff systems.
The Flemish Government, together with the Flemish public transport company De Lijn, came to the conclusion that a comprehensive cooperation agreement was necessary. Its successfull conclusion.
The construction of the link started in 2014 in the interested Dutch and Flemish cities and municipalities. With a projected 6.8 million passengers, this project will lead to better mobility and contacts between the residents and companies of this border area.