The cities of Haparanda and Tornio are placed near the border between Sweden and Finland. The collaborative organ of the cities, Provincia Bathniensis, was established in 1987, to develop and extend borderless cooperation between the cities. The cooperation includes community planning, local technique, education, culture, work among young people, industry, social and health service.
Haparanda-Tornio (The Finnish and Swedish Local Governments).
The cooperative dialogue is effective since 1987
- Haparanda-Tornio Cities
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
Reasons for Success in overcoming Obstacles
1. Presence of cooperation structures.
2. Common language.
3. Cultural heritage.
Good Practices in identifying and removing Obstacles
1. The role of Öresund Commitee that promotes regional cross-border cooperation at all levels.
2. Municipal cooperation.
3. Medicon Valley – a cluster cooperation in the Öresund region across the Danish-Swedish border that constitutes one of the most potent and successful medtech clusters in the world.
4. Gränsependeln – the establishment of regular public transport to connect Swedish and Norwegian regional and national transport network.
5. Baltic Master – cooperation of both cross-border and transnational character, involving regions along the Baltic Sea coast.
Good Practices in identifying Cross-border territory as spatial unit
Cooperation between different areas of public service on Swedish-Finnish border.
Reasons for Obstacles Persistence
1. Distribution of legislative powers in the judicial system.
2. Constitutional problems with forming legal entities for cross-border cooperation.